Tuesday, July 25, 2006

HC lets pilot fly away

What does it cost an Air India (A-I) pilot with 20 years of service to resign from his job? In Captain Mark Morris’ case, a whopping Rs15 lakh.
Morris, an A-I commander with over 12,800 flying hours, had tendered his resignation on February 28, 2006. A-I, however, refused to accept it, following which Morris moved Bombay High Court in July challenging the “illegal and arbitrary” move.
On Monday, Justice FI Rebello and Justice VK Tahilramani directed A-I to accept Morris’ resignation within two weeks. However, citing amended service rules, A-I said that it had the right to impose any condition for acceptance of a resignation and asked Morris to forfeit his terminal dues amounting to Rs15 lakhs.
In a similar case, the HC had in April directed A-I to accept the resignation of Captain V. Sivaraman while permitting the public sector utility to hold back his terminal dues.
25/07/06 Anshika Misra/Daily News & Analysis
To Read the News in full at Source, Click the Headline

0 comments:

Post a Comment