Saturday, May 21, 2011

Survivors’ careers still grounded

Eight passengers survived when the Air India flight from Dubai carrying 166 people on board crashed on landing in Mangalore on May 22 last year. But, even if they came out alive, in the case of most, their careers have floundered. Some are killing time sitting at home.
Joel Prathap D'Souza, 25, who lives with his parents at Vamanjoor, is a dejected man. “I suffered a slipped disc in the crash. I can no longer do any kind of hard work. I lost my job. My current physical condition limits my opportunities in the job market. I am depressed because I have neither received any other job nor compensation.
“Air India has not had the courtesy to call and inquire about my health. I sometimes wish that I had died in the crash rather than live in this condition.”
Krishnan Kooli Kunnu, 48, of Uduma Mangad, Kasargod in Kerala, used to work in a private company in Dubai, but is now sitting at home without a job.
Mayan Kutty K P, 48, of Kannur in Kerala had worked in Saudi Arabia for 15 years and in Dubai for six years. He returned to Dubai six months after the crash. “I worked for three months, but realised that, mentally, I was not the way I used to be. I could not concentrate on work and decided to return. But, I am yet to cancel my visa as I hope to go back.”
Abdulla Puttur, 36, is desperately looking for a job. In January, he flew to Dubai on a visit visa, but returned when he could not get a job. “About two weeks ago, officials from Air India called and promised to get me a job,” he said.
Pradeep G Kotian, who still experiences pain in his right wrist, said, “At the time of the crash, Air India had assured jobs to survivors, but so far we have received nothing. My visa has expired and I lost my job as a technician (maintenance) in a private company in Dubai.” He has joined his friend's hardware business.
21/05/11 Deepthi Shridhar/Bangalore Mirror
To Read the News in full at Source, Click the Headline

0 comments:

Post a Comment