Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Airline fines passengers for carrying excess cabin baggage

Muscat: After some passengers of an Indian airline were not allowed to board the flight for carrying excess cabin baggage, airlines have said that they should strictly adhere to the limit.

Saju Mathew, a traveller said, “Last month, I had to travel to Thiruvananthpuram. After receiving my boarding pass and immigration clearance, I bought some goods from the duty-free shops at Muscat airport. They weighed the goods bought from the shops along with my cabin baggage and it showed 12kg.

“The Air India Express officials asked me to pay fine for the extra 5kg. When I refused, I was not allowed to board the flight.”

Mathew said that the airline didn’t allow another three passengers to board the flight for the same reason on that day. “They missed their flight and had to reschedule their itinerary. We all were unaware that the goods bought from duty-free shops are also included in this 7kg limit.”

A senior official of a travel agency in Ruwi said, “Many travellers think that the 7kg limit excludes the goods bought from duty-free shops. This creates confusion and problems during boarding.”
25/11/14 Joseph Benny/Muscat Daily
To Read the News in full at Source, Click the Headline