Tuesday, March 03, 2015

I have lost interest in everything I held dear: helping farmers, reading and watching TV

Pune: Dealing with death of a loved one is a Herculean task. But accepting and trying to understand the inexplicable disappearance of one's own can make for a torturous existence for those left behind grappling for answers and not finding them. For 44-year-old Pralhad Shirsath, whose wife Kranti was on that fateful Malaysia Airlines' flight MH370 which disappeared within an hour of its take off from Kuala Lumpur at 12:41 am on March 8, 2014, it is as if all his ties with life has been snapped. Kranti was on that flight to join him at Pyongyang, but never got there. He has since quit his job as the country head for Concern Worldwide, a multi-national NGO, in North Korea and returned home to take charge of his two school-going sons. A year later, his life is purely woven around them and scanning for information on what it was that plucked his partner of 19 years away from him and his children. This is his story.

Every morning when I wake up, the first thing I do is park myself before the computer and Google for any news or new theory doing the rounds on the MH370 that disappeared. There are various theories that keep popping up. I scan them for possible answers. We have no answers yet.

All we have are theories. We keep getting e-mails from the officials about the status of the investigations. But these mails offer nothing new. All they convey is the area covered by the search teams. I have no explanation to give our relatives or even my children, who keep asking me about the progress of the investigations. This was their question even as I left home this afternoon.

I have lost interest in most things I held dear earlier. I have stopped reading, something I was avid about. I barely watch television. I had a passion for helping farmers. My 11-year work life abroad was about deployment of technology in dairy and other farming activities to enhance productivity. I wanted to share my experience and expertise with my folks back home.
03/03/15 Mayuri Phadnis/Pune Mirror 
To Read the News in full at Source, Click the Headline