Saturday, April 18, 2015

Honoured to be in Time’s top 100 list: Aviation tycoon Tony

Panjim:  Tony Fernandes, who co-founded AirAsia, said his inclusion in Time magazine’s list of 100 most influential persons was a tremendous honour for him.
“It’s a tremendous honour to be included in Time’s top 100 list – I was shocked when I first received the news but I am very proud and humbled,” Fernandes said. “This has been a challenging year but my entire career has been about challenges and with every obstacle, we learn and become even better,” he added.
He said he felt that they were taking forward strides. “I am excited about the future,” he said.
Against all odds, Fernandes unleashed an unprecedented boom in air travel in Asia and the ASEAN region, connecting communities and cultures while providing a tremendous boost to the region’s economies. Innovative product offerings and creative marketing turned the once-staid industry on its head.
“I also want to thank my staff across all of my businesses in AirAsia, Tune Group, QPR and Caterham for standing by me through it all, for the tremendous support and hard work. Together, we will continue to disrupt the market,” he said.
With a vision to democratize air travel, Fernandes co-founded AirAsia in 2001 with partner Kamarudin Bin Meranun, purchasing the then loss-making AirAsia from its Malaysian owner for a token one Ringgit ($0.30) along with over $11M in debt.
18/04/15 Herald
To Read the News in full at Source, Click the Headline