Wednesday, August 19, 2015

At airport, auto drivers still fleece commuters

Mumbai: Commuters allegedly continue to be fleeced by errant autorickshaw drivers at the city's domestic airport.

One such commuter, Surindra Khubchandani, had a bitter experience on his way back to the city from Goa.

"I stood in a queue to catch an auto for Khar. Not a single auto appeared for 15 to 20 minutes. The traffic cops were also missing from the stand. As I walked ahead, I spotted some autos soliciting with passengers. They offered to drop me at Khar for Rs 250," he said.

On spotting some woman constables chatting nearby, Khubchandani apprised them about the errant drivers, but got a response only after he threatened to complain to their higher-ups. The constables immediately summoned an auto driver and ordered him to drop Khubchandani at Khar. "It was one of the errant drivers who had previously demanded Rs 250 from me. He dropped me mid-way at the Western Express highway junction and asked me to get another auto,'' he said. Though five autos were parked there, none agreed to go. Khubchandani finally called his daughter who sent a car to fetch him.
18/08/15 Somit Sen/Times of India
To Read the News in full at Source, Click the Headline